Friday, September 14, 2007

People in Photography

The result, as seen in People in Photography, is an avalanche of more than 200 photographs with extraordinary, occasionally baffling juxtapositions of subject matter and author. Cecil Beaton's portrait of Princess Alexandra shares wall space with an anonymous 1910 portrait of the confident but ultimately doomed boxer Les Darcy and hawkish Kings Cross witch Rosaleen Norton.

The great American portraitist Arnold Newman's take on an earnest but irrevocably shifty Richard Nixon shows the American president attempting a sincere smile from beneath a handwritten, affectionate inscription to an Australian friend.

John Elliott's 1982 photograph of Slim Dusty coexists uneasily with Max Dupain's portrait of a chubby young Yehudi Menuhin, photographed 40 years earlier. Dupain's versatility shows in two other, very different pictures - his carefully lit 1940s views of the enigmatic politician "Doc" Evatt, and the actor Chips Rafferty resting on his haunches in a rocky landscape with his right hand cradling the ever present hand-rolled cigarette.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I wish youd add some photos as well as your commentary which I find fascinating!

Don't suppose you'd care to comment on my stuff?? :)

http://mosdave.badoo.com/entry/50/

Plus I've got lots more at Badoo.

Thanks

Dave

Anonymous said...

i agree, some photo's would be good!

Rod

Anonymous said...

Do you know anything about www.myartspace.com? I'm thinking of dropping my deviantart account so that I can focus on an account there, but I'm looking for professional opinions about the site. What are your thoughts about art sites?

nikon d3000 said...

Dupain's versatility shows in two other, very different pictures - his carefully lit 1940s views of the enigmatic politician "Doc" Evatt, and the actor Chips Rafferty resting on his haunches in a rocky landscape with his right hand cradling the ever present hand-rolled cigarette.
for more nikon d3000

Unknown said...

i am agree, some photo's would be good!Its real good joy that the award was presented to him thanks.
nikon d3000 review

Mayank said...

I too agree with it. Well, this an awesome and informative article. I am further going to share it with my friends also.
digital cameras

Anonymous said...

Great amazing things here. I am very satisfied to look your article.
Valentines Day Gifts